Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Producer - More Modeling Experimentation

Here's a screenshot of the progress on Lou's model. Not very far along, because I started over several times, and kept running into the same problems over and over when I combined and merged a part onto the head. I kept getting sharp edges around where I merged and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what I was doing wrong.

Lou's Head-Progress (the mouth is still scary to model!)

So, I took a break from Lou and tried my hand at another character I wanted to model, just to step away from it a bit. Again, I ran into the same problems here, but I eventually figured out the cause. My normals were inverted on some of the parts. It was an easy enough fix, so I went ahead and finished up the model just to prove to myself that I could do it, as well as to see how fast I could get through it. I feel like this is good grounds for a start and good practice. I feel a lot more confident in my character modeling now.

Fatcat - Front
Fatcat - Side
Fatcat - Perspective

Also, below is a quick video of Lou's environment model if you haven't seen it yet. This was what I did for my advanced time-based projects class and will eventually serve as some background scenery for Lou when he's textured and ready to be animated. :)

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

OK, don't panic. The mouth does look a little off right now, but I think this due to a "planes in space" debacle. On the M-Drive, go to my folder and look under Maya Models. Open the dog file and look at the mouth. I'm not saying that my model is perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it will show you how I approach modeling mouths.The nose and muzzle look really good on your model, so don't give-up! You are on the right track!
As for the fat-cat, I really like the layout page, but I have to be honest that I don't like the model (the overall look and appeal). I think this was a good exercise, but I would modify it away from the "boxy" look...