Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Poly Modeling Experimentation

I recently asked Michelle to help me get off on the right foot with character modeling, and she helped me get a good start. I am getting a good feel for character modeling (faces at least) already! She originally gave me some orthos she had prepared for class, and went over how to model the difficult parts, such as eye sockets, noses and mouths. I started with her character, then decided to give a canine face a try and drew up orthos of one of my own characters (not Lou, I'm still trying to narrow down his design before I finish his orthographic views). Neither is finished, but I ran into a couple of problems on the dog face where I stitched the nose into the rest of the face, that I want to work out before I finish the model. Here's what I have so far.

Poly Human Head

Poly Dog Head

Poly Dog Head (Front)
Poly Dog Head (Side)

4 comments:

pmatthews said...

Modeling looks good on the dogs. I was looking at the side profile, and I'm don't remember what you sketches were like at the moment, but it seems to me that a dogs face would be very elongated and thin. The model you're working on currently seems to have a shortened snout. You know more about dogs than I do, but if your modeling a greyhound or the racing type dog their faces are long and thin. Some worth looking into at least.

Jessica said...

It's not Lou, it's another of my characters that's a pitbull.

Charlotte said...

Great Start! OK, here are my comments:
1.Model the mouth *open* (easier for animation)
2. Model the eyes *half* open (same reason as above)
3. If there are areas where you want to keep an edge, simply add another edge really close to it (some people call this "river and canyon walls." The River is the current edge, and the canyon walls are extra, parallel edges next to the river).
Hope this makes sense!

pmatthews said...

lol my bad. since I know that it's a pitbull now, the shape makes a lot more sense. keep going.