Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Design for Media - Progress

I spent the week trying to narrow down my style. I've decided I want to model my greyhound character as a racing dog, and for my Advanced Time-Based Projects class I plan to model a race track environment for him.

I found lots of great references of racing dogs and even a chart of common greyhound colors and markings.

Here are my sketches from this week

Sketches 1
Sketches 2
Variations on styles

Sketches 3
Anatomy and run cycle study

Constructive criticism welcome and appreciated!

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Great! Some of the drawings have really good character style (I know that drawing with the WACOM is evolving process, but you are getting there). I want you to check this tutorial out and try the drawing method (your current lines are too "computer").
Continue on your character designs but also try to create three different color palettes (for example, if the dog is a cool blueish gray, then make his racing banner a warm orange)... try some quick variations... think about how color will enhance his/her design / story.

Jessica said...

Charlotte (Don't know if you will see this or not) Could you possibly point out which styles looked appealing to you?

Also, thank you for the tutorial. I often sketch like this in Photoshop and then ink with the pen tool, but I like the width variation without the pen tool that this tutorial offers :)